Boy, Interrupted?

Sensitive 80's guy looking for romance, adventure, sex, philosophy, excitement! Come on in and check out the most exhibitionist guy around. I'm a straight guy with a queer eye, though I'm not rich or handsome enough to be considered a "metrosexual". Hope you find my musings entertaining, shocking, enlightening, touching, or even disgusting! Comments are well appreciated. tonton

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kennedy Town, Hong Kong

I'm a 36 year-old kid, who's just in the process of finding myself and how to balance my needs with my responsibilities.

Monday, August 20

Nice Specs on Canon 40D!



http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082010canoneos40d.asp

Readers of my blog may know that for entry level DSLR photography, I like Pentax the best, Sony second, and Canon third (as long as you avoid the Canon kit lens).

I don't think Nikon's entry-level DSLR's (D40 and D40x) are in the same league because of severe limitations/cost-cutting measures, most notably the inability to autofocus with ANY affordable prime lenses.

But now let's look at the mid amateur range...

Pentax has the 10D. Fantastic camera, fantastic lenses and camera features.
Sony - nothing. Something is expected within the next few weeks, however.
Nikon has the D80 and is expected to release the upper mid-range D250 or D300 within a week or so.
Canon has the 30D. Very good camera, but stay away from cheap Canon lenses. Canon's UI also leaves much to be desired when compared to the three other players here.
Olympus - I'll ignore this, since I don't like the 3/4 system (sensor too small).

Now, Canon has just jumped way ahead with the announcement of the 40D, the long-awaited successor to the 30D.

Preliminary features:

Key features

* 10.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
* 6.5 fps continuous shooting, max. burst 75 JPEGs
* New AF system with 9 cross-type sensors
* 3.0” LCD with Live View mode

Nice. That CMOS sensor is likely to define a new standard for image quality. It's going to be tough for anyone to match.

6.5 fps is very impressive, and great for sports shooters who can't afford the HK$50,000 1DMkIII.

The MkIII's focusing system was a disaster, so hopefully this will be an improvement.

Live view mode is a huge plus, though hardline SLR geeks will claim it's completely unnecessary. It'll also appeal a lot to amateur photographers who are used to digital point-and-shopot cameras.

I look forward to seeing the first responses to this new camera. And I especially look forward to seeing what Sony and Nikon have to offer to compete.

Prices for comparison (body only):

Canon 30D: ~HK$7500-9000
Canon 40D: ~HK$10000
Nikon D80: ~HK$7000
Nikon D200: ~HK$11000-13000
Nikon D??? (Successor to the D200): ???
Pentax K10D: ~HK$6000-7000
Sony Alpha ("Advanced Amateur"): ???

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

7:49 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home