Boy, Interrupted?

Sensitive 80's guy looking for romance, adventure, sex, philosophy, excitement! Come on in and check out the most exhibitionist guy around. I'm a straight guy with a queer eye, though I'm not rich or handsome enough to be considered a "metrosexual". Hope you find my musings entertaining, shocking, enlightening, touching, or even disgusting! Comments are well appreciated. tonton

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kennedy Town, Hong Kong

I'm a 36 year-old kid, who's just in the process of finding myself and how to balance my needs with my responsibilities.

Monday, February 19

Zeiss Photos

There's just something wonderful about using old manual lenses with a brand-new digital SLR. It's so much fun! While my 40+ year-old ausJena (Carl Zeiss) Pancolar 50/1.8 is not as sharp wide open as I had hoped, my 20-30 year-old CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5 MC is simply astounding!

Here's a link about old Zeiss lenses






Look at this shot to see what I mean:

At 800 pixels wide, it looks like a pretty sharp photo. But this is a 10MP image, and the original size is 3872 pixels wide! Most lenses simply aren't sharp enough to match that resolution, and at 100% magnification on screen, things will look pretty blurry.

But with this amazing 20-30 year-old Zeiss lens, this is what I get at 100%:






At that resolution, this photo still would look very sharp blown up to poster size.

To get this kind of sharpness with a new autofocus lens, I'd have to pay around HK$12000 for the Sony/Carl Zeiss 135/1.8!!! That's on top of the cost of the camera!

So how much did I pay for this kind of quality?

£46.

Simply amazing.

Here's the lens...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home